Cars and Boston Cremes

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Easter Bunny (Do-over)

So, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who'd been reading something or something, anyway: Apparently some parents who were Jehovah's Witnesses petitioned their kids school and made them take something out of their school newsletter about Christmas or something like that.

Our conversation ended up being a very considered discussion covering politics, religion, freedom and you know, stuff like that, which is clearly a momentus occasion, so I thought it was in need of recording.

Let me begin by saying I have nothing against Jehovah's Witnesses in general. Only when they come to my house.

Now, the place where I work is currently running an Easter raffle. One of the staff had a little rant about this, because apparantly we had a policy (at least under the old directer) that everyone has to be consulted and approve it before such an undertaking can go ahead. Now the thing is, we're not raffling off little crucifixes or statues of holy things.

We're giving away chocolate eggs (and I think a fluffy bunny).

As far as I am concerned, everyone is entitled to their own religion, beliefs, and practices (including adding a comma before the word 'and') as long as it doesn't interfere or cause harm to anyone else. Someone attending a building for for some singing and praying with a bunch of other people loses an hour of their life but no-one else is the worse for it.

It's a personal decision.

Someone coming to my house and suggesting I become one of them is on the line. If I say no and they walk away, where's the harm? Nowhere, I guess. As long as it doesn't turn into badgering. (Just don't expect a warm welcome from me, that's all) On the other hand, I don't have to be rude about it. A nice polite 'no thanks, get off my property' should do it. Goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) killing, locking up etc someone simply because they don't share your beliefs is wrong.

But back to the newsletter thing. Christmas concerts, Easter raffles, Halloween displays at shopping centers, little cross pendants, team colours. If we take away everything that separates us an individual because it's not 'politically correct' we as individuals lose our identity, and we as a nation lose our identity.

Furthermore, you take away Christmas and Easter, and Hallmark and the postal service and Hersheys will go broke in the very near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home