Cars and Boston Cremes

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Shit of a day

This morning:
Woke up pretty early considering it's my day off work. But I did have to get to school to do some research on a paper and finish off some last-minute details of the presentation I had to give this afternoon.
My housemates car wouldn't start, altho that didn't affect me.

At school:
Went to the computer labs. Did some research, that was fine. Made some last minute edits to my presentation slideshow. Turns out once it's on a CD, you can't save the changes to a PowerPoint. I don't have another CD, and I've yet to invest in a memory stick thingy. Also, I'm supposed to have a handout to, well, hand out, but none of the printers are working in the labs that don't have classes in them.

Home again:
Rushed home, this is going to be cutting it close.
My computer is being stupid, and won't even recognise that it has a CD drive, let alone let me save my edited PP. I called a friend who works at my school to see if I could borrow their memory stick. I can. Cool. Still have to print out the handout and save the new presentation. And get to class early to make sure I know how to use the projection thingy.

Back to school:
Computer labs first. I'm going to print the handout - one of the labs was going to be free now and so I should be able to find a printer that works - then see if the school computers will save my PP to CD. If not, I have to take my laptop to my friends office, save the PP, then get to class.
The printer doesn't work. I think the computer's doing something wrong, sending it to the wrong printer. I try again. No luck. I move to another lab. Nope. Ask the room in general for help. Apparantly all the printers in the universe are down. And the student email. That's just great. I manage to save my presentation, so at least I have something then I go to the InfoShop. Turns out the Internet was down earlier this morning, and Blackboard is still down. All the library computers are completely booked. Maybe I'd like to go to the public library? With fifteen minutes til my presentation, I don't think so.

To class:
So I have two PowerPoint presentations on two different disks which is a pain in the you-know-where but it's done. No handout, but arguably not my fault. Maybe I left it to the last minute, but I do only go one day a week, so not really. Oh yeah, I still don't have a partner, but I'm so over that.
I get to class, have a look at the projection thingy. I get the light to come on, but the computer seems dead. Oh well, the lecturer should be there soon, she can deal with it. Hopefully we can all go to the funeral instead of to class. I sit down and let my brain go into meltdown for about ten minutes.
The lecturer gets there. Oh some of you are here. Um yes, why wouldn't we be? We have class now. Not to mention I'm supposed to be presenting now. Oh, there's no class today. You're shitting me. There was an announcement on Blackboard. If you'll remember, it was down all morning. Incidentally, when I was back in the library at 3.30, there was an announcement that BB was back online.

So, no class.
No presentation.
And the time I've spent preparing for the presentation - which now isn't due for another two weeks - could have been spent on a different paper which is due next Friday.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Or shoot someone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home